Carbon monoxide poisoning we’ve probably all heard about, but not everyone will be aware of just how lethal (CO) gas can be.
It may be surprising to learn, but (CO) gas is responsible for around 200 hospital admission each year. Further statistics show that the (CO) gas is also responsible for 40 deaths each year resulting from these admissions.
One of the reasons why so many have fallen victim to (CO) gas is because its presence can be hard to detect, due to the gas being odourless and colourless.
However, those who know about how carbon monoxide works are in a better position to recognise the signs and take the appropriate action.
Recognising Carbon Monoxide is Present
As advised, (CO) gas doesn’t have a smell nor a colour, so you will have to be aware of other signs that carbon monoxide is present, including the following:
- Feeling Faint
Should you or anyone within the property start to experience any of the above, then it’s important to vacate the property as soon as possible and employ the services of professional gas fitter as soon as possible. It’s also advisable to enlist the services of a medical professional to ensure that no ailments have been caused due to (CO) gas being present.
Steps to Take to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Given the dangers that can arise with carbon monoxide, it stands to reasons that you will want to take steps to ensure that there is less chance of carbon monoxide poisoning,
The first thing you should do is double-check the credentials of anyone fitting appliances or carrying out repairs. There are strict guidelines in place that state that anyone carrying out such work needs to be Gas Safety registered and should carry a card that confirms this in every instances.
Another step that is becoming more commonplace around the United Kingdom is the use of CO alarms. These need to be used as well as smoke alarms to safeguard the property. Should you receive an alert in relation to carbon monoxide, then you can ensure that a fix is put in place sooner rather than later.
For a (CO) alarm to function in the right way, it’s important to ensure that the alarm is not situated in the following locations:
- Cupboards and Enclosed Spaces
- Above a Sink
- Near Kitchen Appliances
- Next to Vent, Window or Vent
- A Place Subjected to High or Low Temperature
As well as replacing the CO alarm every five years, it is also advisable that you enlist the services of a qualified technician to service your appliances each year.
If you’re concerned about the potential presence of carbon monoxide, or just want to ensure that your appliances are being serviced in the right way, then why not contact AJ Walker to arrange an inspection today. As well as being a fully-certified professional, AJ Walker can arrange an annual inspection to ensure that poisonous gases are kept at bay.